Monday, August 9, 2010

When in Rome..

While in Penang attending Luqman's convo last week we took the opportunity to visit some recommended mamak stalls. What's a trip to the island without nasi kandar? In fact, come to think of it, all our meals were at one mamak stall or another throughout our three-day visit.

First we went to Padang Brown because Luqman swore by the soups served there. He was right, the soups were scrumptious - light and has an aromatic smell. I think it is the rempah they use - served with rice or roti banggali.


If you are interested to go, the stalls are somewhat behind the Balai Polis at Dato' Keramat. Guna GPS lah senang.. we didnt have one but we survived on the couple of quick calls Luqman made to his Penang born and bred friend.



And as usual, we definitely had to visit Nasi Kandar LineClear - there's just something about the kari.. We got lost in the afternoon traffic in the city. The one way streets definitely is a maze (and please tell me again, what is it about men and asking for directions? *I wonder if my hubby reads this post as he occasionally reads my blog to check what I've been up to! haha*) but we finally found the place after we (he decided to?) asked for help.

Their signboard has changed - this is a photo from our previous trip..


We also went to try the Nasi Kandar Beratur. It only opens at 10pm every night. And before 10 the queue is already building. The funny thing is the same place is being used by another mamak selling nasi kandar also. The earlier guy will clean and literally wash the stall (like you wash your car) before the the night Nasi Kandar Beratur officially opens.


The restaurant is old - operated since 1943! - I wasnt even born then. The street is lined with kedai emas. I remembered when I was young my mother would take me to the island and we'd ride on the beca to the jewellers. I wonder if this is the street we went to (forgot to ask my mum the other day).

Anyway. That night we had our dinner at about 1045; we got there way before 10 but unfortunately although the line was reasonably short the first few patrons had many orders. Letih menunggu. The nasi kandar was good and different from LineClear, but I dont think I'll go again because of the late hours and the FRUSTRATION (!!!) of waiting.


That's the queue. While queuing a guy came up and said loudly, sesiapa ada park kereta di tepi jalan, ubah kereta tu. We discovered later ada balai polis bergerak dan operasi saman-menyaman sedang berjalan. There was a few who left the queue to save themselves their hard earned money.

To get to the Nasi Kandar Beratur all you need to look for is the Masjid Kapitan Keling. The place is just next to the masjid. The masjid seem like nice from the outside; quaint (sebab masjid lama kan) and well lit in the night. I managed to get a few photos while waiting to be served.


.. unfortunately we were not in Rome and cant do whatever the Romans do; therefore we just ate what the mamaks do..?

*****

2 comments:

Noura Akebar said...

Salam sis. Never stop eating when reach Penang. nasi kandar at nasi beratur, kpg melayu are my favourite restaurant. The best roti nan n ayam tandoori is at Kapitan.

myself, enjoy shopping at little india and enjoy eating at Tajuddin near the temple.

Azah Yahya said...

Waalaikummussalam. Must try all that when I am there again. Problem is we drove far, but ended up at the same corner, same street. I should get a GPS. Seriously.

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails