Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Lovely Occasion

So Luqman graduated. And I told my husband that this is another milestone in our lives..



When we got the letter from his university about the convo, Luqman gave me a long hujjah why he didnt want to go for the ceremony. I was rather concerned initially. Nevertheless, he nicely ended his long reasoning with kalau mama nak Luqman pergi, Luqman pergi lah. (Sejuk hati mana-mana mak pun kalau dengar anak cakap macam nih.) I compromised and said, why dont you send me the link and I'll read up on this subject. (But obviously his mum had said pergi..)



I actually like convos. It is like an achievement day and everybody was recognized for the (hard?) effort they had put through the years at college. I like to see my kids go on stage and receive their scrolls (are they still called scrolls? Because that flat thingy they received arent scrolled anymore..) - anyway - take pictures, watch the kids laugh with friends. It is something nice to see. Maybe a day where all parents feel proud. I dont know - but it is nice.



The ceremony that day went through efficiently. Since I am already a veteran at this (haha) I didnt experience any prickle of tears.. that is, not until the pro-chancellor gave his closing speech when he paid tribute to the sacrifices all mothers make and said, graduan2 USM sekelian, renunglah ke mata ibu anda. Lihatlah.. I dont remember all he had said, but they were beautiful words in a very meaningful speech (walaupun speech dibaca dalam Bahasa Melayu yang penuh dengan slang dan tonggang-langgang..)



That evening at the hotel room I sat on the balcony and looked out to the horizon where the vast sea meets the (even more vast) skies and thought, Masya'Allah. Life is surely short, where have all the years gone by? It didnt feel like almost 22 years since he was born. I pray for the best future for him. For the best di akhirat. Untuk rahmat Allah. Untuk keampunan. Robbana atina fiddunya hasanah, wafil akhiroti hasanah..



*****

No comments:

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails