Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Books, Books and More Books Part 45; Dina Zaman


A friend recommended the writer. If you ever read Adibah Amin or Awang Goneng these are exactly those kind of books - short snippets of life experiences that are compiled into books.

I am Muslim is her first book that I have the impression of being quite a success. She narrates stories of her experiences being a Muslim. Unfortunately I cant say I like it; these arent the stories I want to read at this point about Islam or being a Muslim. Her views are somewhat liberal, if you ask me. So I pass.

Her second book is a collection of short stories back home in the east, Man of the Sea. Of shamans and bomohs and of chickens slaughtered for whatever reasons. I dont have these experiences; my parents were staunch believers in modern medicine. So I cant relate to her stories. So again I pass.

I like to read local authors to see what / how they write actually. So in other words these are technical reading instead of leisure. And I can vouch that Dina Zaman has a good flair for writing.

To read or not? I'd give it a 75% not (I couldnt wait to get to the end of the books so that I can find something new to read).

*****

No comments:

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails