Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Murhpy's Law?


And unfortunately this is about work too. Yes I know, again. However this is a post on work but with a different flavor.

It's like this. We are going through a series of system upgrade. There's a lot of methodology about it. Lots of school of thoughts. Lots of arguments. And definitely lots of testing and work.

We made through the development and QA testing with some (cough, cough, lots?) of hiccups. But we finally completed all tasks with the testing beautifully done (konon; hint : anything we are involved in would definitely be beautifully done).

Then came the crunch time - the upgrade of the prod server itself. We were told to treat the downtime like a normal system down time due to maybe electricity failure at the data center - which actually had happened a couple of times - despite the extensive DR process we had covered and massive plans for user notices. We abide by the instruction, siapa lah kita kalau dah bos kata tak payah kecoh-kecoh?

The d-day was last Fri. The system was schedule to be up at 8:00 am last Mon. Unfortunately today, close to midnite Thur, the system is still inaccessible by the users.

We were instructed to come in very early this morning for final verifiations before the system opens to the users. Unfortunately that didnt happen. Then we were told it'll be up at lunch. Didnt happen either. Maybe tonight at 10 or so. Zip. The last words are maybe tomorrow morning. Early.

I pray for the sakes of the Technical team that it will really be up tomorrow morning. Bukan apa, kesian kan budak2 yang teruk kerja pagi petang tak balik nak up kan jugak server tu. If we are restless about this, I have no doubt whatsoever their pain is thousand times over.

Remember Murphy's Law? Anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Namun qada' & qadar semua nya di tangan Allah. Berdoalah.
*****

1 comment:

Zana Fauzi said...

I used to joke that I'd like to see if GEMS collapsed once I'm gone (as I was pissed off my boss kept bugging me to come to office on my approved leave days) but now that it really did happen I felt guilty.

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails