Thursday, June 17, 2010

Strawberries

We had definitely outdid ourselves when we did the strawberry picking in Cameron. Even after giving a lot away there are still loads in the fridge.

But the fruits were safely deep-freezed like those found in the grocery stores. And I've tried new things with the strawberries. First I've made strawberry ice cream; a fave with the kids.

Pardon the photo, I wanted to take new ones only to find out all the ice cream is gone! So this is the best that I have.


I had also wanted to try making strawberry sherbet or sorbet if you prefer.. I thought I was smart, you see - sherbet, sorbet - haha. Simply put I wanted an aiskrim Malaysia à la mode. Siapa tak kenal saya yang kerek (as usual of course I mean kerek as in got character..).

I got my old battered but much loved cook book which I bought when I was at college - yeap, that long ago - to look for a sherbet recipe THEN I found out that ~

sherbet is frozen dessert made of fruit juice, sugar, and water which also contains milk, egg white, or gelatin. The word orginates from the Turkish word sherbet or Persian's sharbat; which brings back fond memories of my childhood days when my mum would make air serbat at eidul-fitr (which is basically sweet, cooling air sirap).

sorbet (French; so do the oh là là here..) is a variation of the sherbet without the milk, egg or gelatine. So it is purely frozen fruit juice, fruits and sugar.

à la mode is when something is according to the prevailing style or fashion (I can almost hear Zana's sigh and Delinn go yeah, yeah here..)

Enough of the text book stuff already! Anyway yes, I made the aiskrim Malaysia à la mode aka sorbet with the rest of the strawberries I had freezed.

And voilà, this is my rendition of the sorbet.

However, sigh - sad to say after much ado about the sorbet - the children still prefer the ice cream over the sorbet. Maybe because err.. they are not French..?

Both recipes at my food blog here.. Enjoy.

*****

2 comments:

Zana Fauzi said...

You knew us too well! That sorbet looks delish - I'm beginning to think it's a mistake reading your blog while I'm hungry!

DeLinn said...

haih kaler sorbet tu menakutkan, mcm cili giling hehehehe

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails