Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Books, Books And More Books Part 23


Salahudin Ayubi Penakluk Jerusalem, oleh Abdul Latip Talib

Masya'Allah (that is my comment on the book). This is a very good book.

It is Eirfan's actually. I bought books in this series when his B Melayu teacher remarked his karangan is limited in ideas and his sentences are too simple for his age. Thankfully he likes these books and are asking for more.

As usual I read stuff that the kids read - their comics, books, websites, their fbs - just so I can gauge what they are up to and if they are reading suitable materials (and I also read what the kids read so that I dont get lost when we converse and that we are somewhat on the same page) - not just in terms of content, but also dalam tatabahasa, spelling and other important things like that (somehow I sound like a skema mum for a bit here..) I hate books where words are misspelt, inconsistent, bahasa tunggang-langgang. But not this one. You can tell care was taken during writing and by the editor. Printing was of high quality also. Semuanye disusun cantik.

Anyway.

As I said, this book I really like. I suppose it is not too young for someone old like me.. And not too old for someone like Eirfan. Buku ni best sebab it tells about sejarah Islam, namun dicerita dalam gaya yang tak boring (pardon me please for saying this, but I usually find buku Melayu uninteresting. Bukan salah penulis2, tapi salah saya yang tidak begitu gemar membaca buku Melayu - saya yang tak nak berkenalan, maka mana lah nak bercinta.. but I hope to mend my bad habits.)

And history is a boring subject anyway, unless you have a good teacher who can draw your interests. It is all about memorising facts with no visuals or a story line - maybe I should rephrase that, the story is mostly about war. But this novel sejarah paints a very clear picture of the battles, of the wira Salahudin Ayubi pejuang Islam yang berjaya menakluki Jerusalem from the Crusaders after 80 years of the Christians rule of Jerusalem (if you've heard of King Richard aka Richard the Lionheart, then yes, Salahudin defeated him too at the Battle of Hittin).

Seronok baca gagah rupa nya pejuang Islam Kurdish yang berasal dari Iraq ni. . You can borrow this from Eirfan if you like. On a scale of 1 - 10, it is definitely a 10 for young teenagers to get their mind thinking about deen and the serious stuff. And of course for adults too. Bacalah.

ps - after reading this I tapped my son on his shoulder (he is soo busy playing his war game on his laptop) and said yang, orang pergi jihad, pergi fisabilillah. Jadi ke kita main game je kat rumah? He hmmed his response (whatever that means). And I thought, susah hidup anak2 kat pekan ni bila emak mula baca buku jihad..

*****

No comments:

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails