Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Books, Books & More Books Part 29 : Snow Falling On Cedars


I read this like a few pages everyday and finally finished it within a month or so. I am beginning to think that this is how books are meant to be read - steadily and dengan istiqamah; instead of being on your toes throughout your read and cramming the whole book till 3:00 am the next morning (and forgetting almost everything else in that process).

Snow Falling on Cedars. This is an old book, published in the 90s. It was the title that caught my eyes. I might have seen this years ago because the title seem familiar when I rented it (fyi, I rented this like more than a year ago tapi baru tercapai dek tangan).

It is (mainly) about a Japanese American who went to trial after being accused of a first degree murder of a white American. It is a story in the 1940s - 50s, after WWII. It surely cant be easy being of Japanese descend after the Pearl Harbor attack.

The story was told beautifully, especially when describing the falling snow outside the courtroom. And the title is totally befitting of the storyline. It is a book well written and worth reading. In fact, it was a best seller and also won the PEN/Faulkner award for 1995 (a yearly award given to living American fiction writers) .

ps - I checked and noted that I have 29 posts on books. That basically means I have read 29 books so far (that is from 2007 till now - sikit nye!) I may have a few books that I read here and there that I do not blog about (usually buku2 ilmiah - malu nak cerita pasal buku2 nih, kuang3x - and trashy, worthless literature (those books may not even be entitled to be called literature, come to think of it). And lots of magazines (saya suka tengok gambar sebenar nye, macam budak kecik).

I must read better.

pps - Someone said kita kena jadi macam orang putih - dia orang rajin membaca. He knows some guy who read three books at a time interchangebly (is this a valid word anyway?). I thought siapa kata orang putih je rajin membaca. Orang Melayu pun ada yang rajin. Bukan pelik nak jumpa orang yang baca 3 - 4 buku sekali gus, ye tak Zana?

*****

1 comment:

Zana said...

Tak peliklah, cuma jarang jumpa. I read 3 books at the same time, kadang-kadang termimpi cerita bercampur-campur.

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails