Thursday, April 13, 2006

Do You Trust Your Friendly ATMs?

First, let us get the terminology right - ATM is not asynchronous transfer mode or your super efficient broadband networks and neither it is the acronym for Angkatan Tentera Malaysia..

I went to withdraw some money from an ATM recently. After keying in the amount I waited, and waited and waited and waited.. and then finally my card slides out. But hey.. ! where's the money? The screen then flashes the notice "Temporarily Out Of Service". My moneeey..!!

(A couple of minutes went by before the fact that the ATM really didnt give me my money sank in..)

Ok - so there's no money. But thank goodness I still have my card. I went to the next ATM and checked my balance - sure enough amount was deducted from the account but no money in my hand.

I was standing there thinking tomorrow is going to be bad - calling the bank, explaining, convincing them & the fact that I dont have any proof of what happened, what are my rights as a customer in this instance.. - when my husband noticed that the faulty ATM has come back on-line.

He said check your balance again on that ATM. I said, I just checked the balance. What difference on which ATM I check? The money already been deducted from the account.. No, I wont do it.. It doesnt make sense.. No.. Okay, okay I'll do it. Now.

So, against my better judgement I rechecked my balance. And hey.. guess what? The money's back in the account! Did someone waved the magic wand or said abracadabra? And hey.. does someone has that smug I-told-You-So look on his face? (Question to the IT savvy people out there : Does it really take a few long minutes like this to actually do a database roll-back or whatever process that was done here?)

Moral of the story? Logical thinking aside, always have trust in your husband.. he-he

But seriously, if the money was really & truly deducted from the account what are our rights? Would the bank reimburse us? Must go find this out.
*****

No comments:

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails