Saturday, May 20, 2006

We Are Having A What Tomorrow?

Weekends are most valuable to me. Thus all my weekends are jealously guarded. Unplanned events at weekends are so untolerable..

I knew he was up to something when I had this conversation with my son last Friday evening. He began with a slow Mama, tomorrow is the 20th right?
Me : Yes.
He : It's my birthday tomorrow.
Me : Mmm-hmm, ma tau. (I had planned Sat night dinner at maybe the pizza place or one of the fast foods)
He : Can I invite some friends over for a birthday party?
Me : No, yang.
He : Why not?
Me : Err..
He : Then what are we going to do on my birthday?
Me : I'll get you a nice cake.
He : Alaah..

That was at 8:00 pm Fri evening. Later at 10:30 pm the conversation goes like this.
He : Ma, why cant I invite friends over tomorrow?
Me : Well, you are all grown. When you were much younger we had had birthday parties, remember? (I was more prepared this time.)
He : (silence.. and then a sigh.)
He got up and picked up the phone.
Me : Who are you calling?
He : My friends.
Me : Why? We're arent having a party tomorrow.
He : Yes, that's why I'm calling my friends now to tell them not to come tomorrow.
Me : You mean you invited friends for a birthday do tomorrow without checking with me first? Blah.. blah..
He : Blah.. blah.. (a sigh here and a long face there and blinking (crocodile?) tears and etc etc..)
Me : Ok yang, make sure you invite Nabilah and Faris and Akil and also .. and.. We have to start preparation early tomorrow - we need to get your cake and party gifts and blah.. blah..

Talk about being wrapped around a tiny finger.. & there goes my Saturday.

*****

No comments:

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails