Friday, December 30, 2011

Books, Books and More Books Part 33 & 34


And without realizing it I find that I have somehow completed my book on sirah. It was fascinating. And history must be my favorite subject to be able to sail through the pages. FYI I am also reading books by Ustaz Azhar, Haron Din and a couple more (and these are taking forever to finish).

This Fiqh al Sirah by Muhammad Sa'id Ramadan Al-Buti volume 1 tells of the early life of Rasulullah saw till the move to Yathrib (Madinah). Stories I have once knew when I was a kid (and have forgotten since) are narrated in the book. And when I came across them I thought, I (used to) know this story of the prophet (how come I have forgotten it? How could I?)

I have also drawn a line chart and plugged in the important / historical dates along it. I havent gotten a name for this chart yet (I am thinking of one). And maybe I'll share the chart one day when I am satisfied with / verified the result.

Also. If you had asked me before, how many years difference there is between the Gregorian & Hijri calendars, my cocky response would be "easy-peasy", 2011 - 1432 = 579 years. Duh.

But I have since found out it isnt that easy because the number of days in a year for each calendar is not the same. The (almost) correct answer is 622. Kalau tak percaya tengok screen shot kat bawah (the internet never lies.. ??). You've gotta have a formula though.

I am doing some reading on the Hijri calendar also. Maybe I'll share that too later.

Nevertheless. I am into vol 2 of my sirah series now.

In the meantime. In an about-turn story ~ I have finished this book too some time back (like an addict, I need to have a fix once in a while). No comments necessary here I suppose. Although I think I will read more of Ms Quinn's writings in future.

Happy reading to you. Ciao.

*****

No comments:

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails