Thursday, August 16, 2012

Mencari Taqwa Part 9 ~ The Desert

In a way I think I've always liked deserts (blame it on High Chaparral or Zorro). I like watching scorpions in the desert like shown on National Geographic (tongue in cheek). Or the saguaros and cactus flowers in the spring. Or even Anthony Bourdain when he ate baked dhorb in the Saharan desert.


And when we got down to the dusty (and co-incidently dirty looking) ladang unta, I cant help but tell my hubby, I love this place. There is something rather seductive about the harsh place, with hills upon hills of nothing but sand below the big blue sky. Sand dunes. Hot sun and strong wind with sand flying at/around you. And imagine yourself traveling upon that space a thousand four hundred years ago. It is simply mesmerizing.

I love the scenes at the ladang although I dont think I've got chemistry with the animals (I, of course love the blue skies here).

 We waited a long time for some camel milk. I told the Badwi packing the stuff, ithnan min fadlik. He stared at me with eyes like bola pingpong when I said that. I thought, did I said that wrong, and asked ustaz in Arabic class about it. He said no, you said it right (I only begged the badwi with "two, please").

The camel milk was rich, and I thought it tasted better than the full cream milk we usually get from the grocers - refreshing with no smell whatsoever. Fyi, kencing unta pun ada dijual (untuk ubat apa dah tak ingat). We pass (kata ustaz, kalau ada ikhtiar lain usahakan lah yang itu dulu. Kami setuju).

I'd love to come here again. To travel in the desert and maybe spend a couple of days in the open space with nothing but sand, hot sun, dry wind and the big blue sky above me.

*****

No comments:

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails