Thursday, August 16, 2012

My Kueh Cara Story

Among the children's favorite kueh for berbuka include kueh lopes, kueh buah melaka and of course the kueh cara. Di bulan Ramadhan mesti kueh ini antara yang diminta anak2. And this time around, I still owe them kueh lopes (pardon me, saya suka mengeja kueh dengan huruf e, it is an indulgence for me).

Last week I made them the kueh cara. Yang manis, bukan cara berlauk. Kalaulah anak2 ni masih budak2 kecil, I can see them jumping excitedly over the prospect of eating the kueh..


Nope, no recipe for this sebab buat pun main agak2. I blended the daun pandan and poured the strained pandan juice into the dry ingredients. Gave it a stir (love the green and the sweet smell of the pandan) and then poured spoonfuls into the mold. Then I stopped in mid-air. Oh no, oh no I thought. Does Ilyas or doesnt he take the kueh with the pandan smells?

When he was eight or nine I made kueh cara the same way. Ilyas came running to the kitchen to eat them and then took a bite. His face crumpled when he tasted the kueh and spat whatever in his mouth out. And then asked, mama letak apa dalam kueh ni. I said daun pandan. Kenapa?! he was clearly upset. Bagi bau wangi. He said, Ayeah tak suka bau ni. He pushed the plate away and left the kitchen, all the while crying. Many years after that I dont make the kueh again. Not until much, much later.


So when Ilyas came home later that evening I asked, worried, do you take the kueh with pandan? He said yes, kenapa? I told him the story. I said, I dont think I want to see you upset over the kueh on a buka puasa evening.. He said tak pasal2 la mama ni itu berapa tahun dulu? (I dont think kasih ibu melangkau jarak masa sejauh manapun)

*****

No comments:

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails