Sunday, November 25, 2012

Books, Books and More Books Part 43 Syed Mokhtar al Bukhary A Biography

I was on my way for the morning papers and roti canai breakfast when I first saw this book. Thinking of the many books I have on the almari (only yesterday evening my hubs said, banyak sangat buku kat sini..") I refrained myself from buying. But later when getting books for Eirfan to read for the school holidays saya terbeli jugak buku ni.

Years ago Ilyas came home from school and said ma, I'll be coming home a bit late from school x times a week from now. I have tuition classes at school (I thought baik nye sekolah). Some time later I found that the tuition costs were actually borne by the alBukhary Foundation. My curiosity was piqued since then.

Yeap, the book. Good to read if you are curious about the name. Or trying to find the "how" to be that successful. I find that there is magic - and magic in this case is spelled w-o-r-k-h-a-r-d. He didnt even finish his Form 5. I like the part when he met Tun. How he talks to his mother every day. How deep rooted he is. And the stories on his business - of triumphs and challenges. And what motivates him.

It is a rather thin book considering. It is not an autobiography (I think he should write one). The writer didnt really capture the essence of the man. It is a bit lack luster, for such a big name. It tries to emulate the way Tun's book was written but falls somewhat short, I think (pandai komen, cuba tulis buku sendiri - hancur). But nonetheless I think it is a good book to read.


I also read a short article on Twiggy recently. Growing old(er) and still working hard as ever. She still models, judges on top model series, has her own line of clothing, has a tv show, does tv ads. And she is already 63. That is the reason why I like biographies (auto is even better). They never fail to inspire you to do something for yourself whatever that may be.



Dont shoot - but maybe I should continue with Tun's memoir after all.. (duck!)

*****

No comments:

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails