Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Milestones Part 1

I like to think that life comes in 3 parts. The first is the school days till graduation. The second is career and the young family. The third I would guess is after our own children have departed (virtually if not physically) for their own lives and we would once again, be on our own. There could be other stages in later life that I have not had a sight on yet..

I'd think that I am moving towards the later part of the second stage.

Attended my daughter's graduation yesterday. When we got home she had said she didn’t feel much at graduating. I told her I shed some tears that morning in the hall because the occasion is a major milestone in my life. And of course the doa was beautiful and the varsity song was poignant. The band played nice jazzy music; interspersed with soft gamelan throughout the ceremony.

It certainly doesn’t feel like it was that long ago since she was a baby. Lionel Richie was singing ‘Hello, is it me you are looking for?’ then. But here I am twenty-something years later writing about her graduation.


Certainly there are thousands that graduate each year. But when one of your own graduates, it is a big deal. It definitely is a major milestone in my passage through this life.

*****

No comments:

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails