Monday, October 9, 2006

Syawal 1427

Did you notice? The radio stations have started playing raya songs - yippee.. Raya is so not raya-like without the lagu raya. So now I am starting to feel the mood for raya.

Called up my mum and asked what are her raya plans. Last year we celebrated raya at Bangi as she was not too keen to celebrate at home. This year she's staying put at home so we are going to balik kampung. And I have no doubt whatsoever that she is celebrating raya there because her anak-mak-coang aka my brother who not-coincidently is the youngest in the family said he wants to balik kampung this year. Last year he was in Houston for some whatever training. This year he cant wait to raya at home with mak.

That's nice. I can tumpang sekaki and raya at home as well. Entah berapa kali je lagi pun boleh nak raya dengan mak.

Dont get me wrong - but my mum is old. She cant walk that much, cant stand that long, cant lift anything anymore and dont have that good an apetite. But I am always amazed that she reads the papers every day, cant get enough books to read, still remember all the 50-something names of her cucus, writes very well and do other things that people younger than her cant do no more.

She said all her live, other than a couple of deliveries (me and my dearest brother, that is), she had never been admitted to hospitals. The one and only exception was when she had that pacer implanted.

It's really nice to be going home this raya. I sure hope not everybody is going home as well. No offense to my dear brothers and sisters, but these gatherings can be sooo cramped sometimes.. You just have to trust me on that...
*****

No comments:

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails