Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Let's Go Green!



Do you know that it takes 50 (or even more) years for an aluminium can to degrade? Yeah I know - wow! I went like that too the first time I heard it.

Try google this - how long does it take for plastic to degrade? Now how long do you think? Thought of your answer? Actually the answer that came back was "eternity".

And do you know that plastic straws can take a century or two (or even more) to degrade in landfills? Whoa!!

Jadi sayang-sayang semua, what are we doing to save the earth? And to preserve it for the next generations - anak cucu kita?

Easy things you can do - separate your bottles, plastics and papers when throwing out things. I put them in different boxes. When the garbage truck comes, the garbage collectors will stash these in a separate area from the other trash (I assume to be recycled later).

You can also decline plastic bags when shopping. Take along your favorite bakul, 'I-am-not-a-plastic-bag' bag or whatever tote bags that you have.

(These are my reusable totes while shopping at Giant)

Currently I am also thinking of making my own compost, but have not fully figured out how yet.

So let's do our bit, hmm? Least of all be supportive of those who supports the idea. I bought stuff at BodyShop the other day and they gave me my lotion without a bag because they are on the save the tree campaign. I thought, how rude!

But I am buying into the idea more and more. When I walk into BodyShop today, I do expect the cashier to hand me my lotion without a bag.

*****

No comments:

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails