Tuesday, December 25, 2012

My Taiping; Part 2

We took the opportunity to visit mum these end of year hols. Dengan Eirfan je; yang lain semua sibuk. It was a lonely trip for Eirfan (he slept most of the time; or on his iPod or iPad)

This is mum's place; across the main junction from Pekan Ahad (these days it is more popularly known as Pasar Minggu, I prefer its old name). If Alor Setar has its Pekan Rabu, we have our Pekan Ahad. But it is open from Sat early morning till Zohor Sun though.

 

A multitude of kuih at Pekan Ahad on Sat morning. If you are here on any day, you can stop for crispy and fresh kuih peneram from the stalls at the end of the pasar. They are out of this world (although usually I dont like them much).
  

We drove to Matang market for fresh fish and made our way to Kuala Sepetang (Port Weld). Not much there except for gerai Mak Jah and the hutan simpan bakau. We used to take the bus from my Grandma's place in Matang to Jebong (bukan jabon, jangan silap) to visit my mum's cousins. But for the life of me I cant figure out where the house is anymore. There used to be beautiful sawah padi there.

We also visited Telok Kertang (I never knew what's there), a place by the muddy river and stopped to see skilled local men making boats and then take some beautiful scenic photos. I've never been here before.
 
 

 
We also made slow late afternoon drive through the lake gardens, as usual.

 
 

And surprise, surprise. It didnt rain much in Taiping although the clouds did look laden.

 *****

No comments:

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails