Friday, August 31, 2007

The Merdeka Parade

We went to watch the Merdeka parade at Dataran Merdeka today. Never done that before in my life. I thought it'll be packed, and hot and would just be a drag.

And today I found out that .. those things are all true and more. It was packed, nobody cared that we were standing on the spot first - they just barged through to the front - even that lady who looked so polished. Can you belive she stood in front of the children who were sitting in the front row on the tarmac? But she moved away when some sharp tongued makcik (oh no, it was not me..) insulted her bottom. ha-ha.. (Good riddance, if you ask me).

Then there were two tough guys who wanted to pass through me to the front and I said NO. He said, no? but I'm on duty. Then show me your pass I said. He put the pass in my face. I blandly said thank you and let him pass. (What can I say? I need to protect my rights).

Then I tapped the Bangla (who pushed his way through me) on the shoulder with my small flag and tell him to get out of Eirfan's way. He was blocking Eirfan's view and I didnt take my son to the parade to watch nobody's back.
And definitely it is hot - we stood facing the sun and I'm sure I got sunburned to proof I was standing at the parade for a couple of hours.

But anyway, at the same time I was amazed so many people turned up for the celebration in spite of all those things. In a way it was nice to see we all converged together at an occassion like Merdeka. And watching it on TV definitely is not the same as standing there on the sidewalk.

We waved at the King and Queen when they left - they had the window open, which was nice.
While walking amongst the crowd back to the car we lost Eirfan for maybe about 2 minutes. My heart lurched but before I got to the panic stage, he reappeared. Of course he was reprimanded and I held his hand all the way to the car.

Eirfan said he liked the parade. He loved the jet show the best. Then the hellies and the tanks and the soldiers who wore camouflages.

We talked about going again next year. (I never thought I'd say that!)
*****

No comments:

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails