Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Of Love & Commitment

When I was young and leading a carefree life (I am middle-aged and contented now..) I have a few very close friends. One day a friend got a proposal - which she politely and oh my God - promptly - refused.

Later I asked her why she turned the guy down. She said she loves her independence too much to be bothered with a partner. Furthermore she added she cant cook, sew and neither does she clean. As her room-mate who else knew better about her likes / dislikes?

But secretly I think she underestimates herself. She reads Carl Sagan and actually owned a telescope that she uses to look at the stars at night. She quotes Sheikh Yusuf Qardhawi and introduces topics like the Zionists in her conversations. She's techie and was on the Dean's list.. I thought she's amazing.

Many, many years after that at a get-together I asked her if there is anyone special in her life. With a face that lit up, she said well, there is this guy in the office who always notices what I wear, compliments me and always singling me out. And I said oh wow, sounds like love is in the air. Solemnly she said no, he quit doing all that now. Why? (I really want her to find someone to share life with) Maybe because I didnt respond to his overtures - I want to but I cant and in fact I dont know how. Maybe that's why he stopped doing all those things - because he thinks I am not interested..

Dear me. I didnt know what to say.

If she would come to me and tell me the same story today I'd tell her to just go to the guy and tell him that she likes him. To hell with being shy or bashful. And this is not the time to let our insecurities stop us for getting what we want in life either.

So you go, girls! (But I regret to say my friend remains single till today.)

*****

No comments:

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails