Monday, July 28, 2008

Certainly, A Joyful Occassion

I was asked if I wanted to follow the rombongan bertunang for my nephew. I uhh.. and uhmm.. over it and then said yes. I am thinking that it could be my turn to do this before long so I need to know what the big hoopla is all about.

My, dont we all look nice last Saturday (even if I say so myself) - the ladies are all in proper kurungs and tudungs (the datin and almost-look-like-datins came with dainty slippers and nice, nice handbags). The men were adorable in baju melayu with sampins and songkok. We were strictly reminded of the dress code; otherwise we wouldnt be so proper, mind you.

The house is almost at the end of the road; nestled amongst tall trees and looked cool and most inviting. Its garden is green, the grass well kept. It reminds me of my mum's house of a long time ago.

After introductions, we got to the crunch time. But - there was nothing more to be discussed; it was only a formality. Merisik is all done and all issues are already covered. Hmm - I was disappointed. I thought there might be pantuns and serious intentions implied and conveyed with nicely worded phrases (eg memetik bunga di taman). I guess those days are long gone..

We had a kampung style lunch with ulam which is brought in on dulangs and served on kain saprah. How lovely is that? But ugh, having a meal seated on the floor could really give you muscle spasms actually..

After lunch we thanked the hosts profusely, put the hantaran carefully into the car and then waved proper goodbyes like at any other similar occassions.

THEN we threw away the sampins and songkok and the dainty shoes and pretty bags and let our hair down - it's fun time baby, we are in Ulu Langat and it is the fruits season and there are stalls upon stalls of durian, manggis, rambutan, langsat, cempedak, tempoyak.. need I go on?

*****

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds fun. I don't recall my merisik or bertunang ever had any of those pantun sessions - but then again probably not in the northern side of the country.

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails