Monday, February 9, 2009

Mencari Menantu

When my niece was getting married, her mother said that the father of the bride-to-be is not ready. I said to my sister, oh please - it is his daughter's wedding, why is he the one having jitters? It's fine for me to say that as I am just an outsider witnessing things from the sidelines.

And what is this all about you'd ask.

I invited 'kawan' Iman for lunch today. They have been going steady for some time so I think I should give him a tiny push towards the next course of action. So we met. We talked. Maybe it seemed like an interview to him. On second thoughts I guess it was an interview. I'd find it pretty daunting if I were in his shoes. But he looked cool. At least I dont see sweat on his face..

I'd like to think I am ready for whatever may be. Would love to think that I have no jitters about this. BUT I definitely have concerns about it. I pray that I would love this stranger as my own son. I pray I can accept him seadanya. I pray that he is the perfect choice for us. Regardless what I may think as a daughter-in-law when you marry, you do marry the family too.

At a certain point in life we truly discover that what goes round will come around. And mum's words like 'hangpa tak tau lagi' has a whole new meaning. (And today I have a new label called 'menantu' on the blog - note: later for logistics purposes I have changes this category again..).

*****

2 comments:

DeLinn said...

he didn't has any sweat yet, u said. Wait till he sees the 'makcik kerek' sides of you kekekeke, nayaaa dia ketaq lutut kekekekeek.

anyway, i reckon that my mom would be feeling, thinking and acting like you should I bring back my 'kawan' to be interviewed by her, one fine day. hehehehe

Zana Fauzi said...

To be honest, while we were dating, my dad had a hard time adjusting to my husband (my boyfriend at the time) and even after we got engaged pun dia still tunjuk kerek jugak.

Sebelum dia akadkan kitorang dulu, dia embraced my husband, dia cakap, "Sham, dah ready? Babah dah nak akadkan dah ni." Masa tu dia sebut nama 'babah' before my husband jadi menantu dia, masa tu barulah rasanya dia let it go and mcm sudahlah, nak kahwin dah pun budak-budak ni.

I don't think there's such a high time to be ready, it just happens. When it happens, you just have to bulldoze your way & deal with it.

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails