Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Never Say Never

If I had been asked a year ago if I watch lots of tv, without a doubt my answer would be 'never ever'. Growing up in the kampong my mother believed the best way for children to be healthy and smart is to play outdoors. The tv was locked! (do you remember those days?) And the key is kept on the mantel (yes, of course we know where the key was kept; but no one and I mean no one would ever dare take that tiny key, put it in the lock and open those tv doors without permission). So we ended up as non-tv fan adults.

But fast forward a few decades and with broadband and HD and flat screens, I find how addictive and utterly engrossing watching tv can be (I will call it 'lagho' - face it, if it is black then by all means let's call it black). And that's what I've been doing much of lately. Iman said she had never seen me watch so much tv before compared to now. I definitely blame Beyond and Unifi.

I have the BBC Lifestyle channel subscribed on Unifi. It's got the latest Ramsay's series (yeap, and I learned a few more f words there), Masterchef UK (definitely slow compared to the US version but nevertheless captivating - in a boring way..??), Garden Designer that shows loads of the gorgeous english gardens and Moving To The Country with fascinating sceneries. For a while I was enthralled by Gok too (I mean who doesnt like fashion makeovers?)

There is also the Travel Channel that shows lovely places to visit but my favorite show has got to be the World's Greatest Motorcycle Rides. I caught the rides made through some of the European countries, the Isle of Man, a portion of Route 66 - from Chicago through St Louis (which prompted me to say to my husband - honey, we got to ride through Route 66 someday. I had to explain and then he had said, on a Harley?) - and then darn, I missed the rest of that leg. The ride made through New Zealand had left me speechless too.


My favorite on Beyond has got to be the Life Inspired channel. The Barefoot Contessa show comes on twice every day on weekdays (which isnt fair - on a work day? And Beyond does not have catch-up-tv like Unifi which comes free. You need the recorder and that comes with a hefty price tag too). I had bought Ina's (fyi it is pronounced Aina not Eena) book and made marmalade from a recipe in there (tapi tak jadi pun marmalade tu..).

And I know I am in trouble - I am also starting to like Drop Dead Diva on AXN - a law series with a lawyer who has a diva attitude but likeable nonetheless. And lately KPop looks rather interesting also.

I was sitting in the doctor's waiting room the other day when a couple of oldish (cough, cough - funny how other people could look old but you yourself never seem to age any, dont you think?) acquaintances started talking about KPop. They thought it was Kanto-pop (for Cantonese pop. I know, what the heck?) and said the girls who sang Nobody But You (they couldnt come up with Wonder Girls) is from Thailand (I thought, oh pleeaaze..).

Iman is right. I am watching too much tv. I know too much (trivia).

*****

No comments:

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails