Saturday, October 23, 2010

Mirror, Mirror On The Wall


I was passing by the gorgeous beauty product counters this morning and remembered it has been ages (I do tend to exaggerate..) since I had decent cleansers and stuff for my own. I was happy with Artistry years ago but all that went awry when my membership expired.

I then tried Mary Kay via a pretty, petite lady introduced by Mijah. I find the products so-so. So when I finished that I went to Body Shop. I like the brand, but I think it is rather mild for my.. cough, cough err.. mature (yeah, that's the word I am looking for - instead of aged..) complexion. After all that I stopped using any stuff at all. I had used Clinique at college - it was rather affordable then - but gave up on them later (I mean tell me, whatever can you afford with five kids - four then - to support..?)

So this morning as I passed by the array of wondrous beauty counters (do you find you are in awe whenever you walk around these areas? I do) I stopped to chat with the Clinique Consultant named Juliet (that's what her name tag says). I was in a chatty mood and she is in sales after all - so what's there not to chat about?

She's in her mid fifties, a grandma she confessed, and has got only tiny lines around her eyes and forehead. Her complexion is clear and smooth. Cantik kulit dia. I peeked into her tag again, her photo on it looked gorgeous and I told her so. I can see she was pleased, but said that photo was taken like 15 years ago.

She guessed my age accurately (damn, I thought I might have looked younger than my years.. I am lucky I suppose that she hadnt thought I am already well into my fifties or sixties.. Vain, you say? I couldnt agree more. haha) She said she can tell I havent been pampering my face.. and then the bad news kept coming.

She remarked on the dark circles I have under my eyes (so tell me something I dont know Juliet, I said), I have lines around the eyes (I thought, I am middle-aged; not twenty. Of course I have got crow feet) - deep lines she added (what?!! where? and she pointed THEM ALL all out to me) and I've got open pores (and she pointed them all out too..).

She brought a mirror and invited me to look at both our faces in there. She pointed at her cheeks and the laughing lines. Her cheeks looked like they've got more elastics in them and the lines arent etched so deep. I concur to the differences she pointed out.

She showed me the products that she has. The techniques to everything (well, almost everything). How each and the how's can help.

So. You dont think I'd come home empty handed after that, do you? Juliet gave me her number and told me to call her if I need any beauty advice at all (she was the nicest beauty grandma I've ever met) and put my stuff in the prettiest cosmetics bag (picture above). She gave me numerous other bottles and tubes too, oh samples I said. She said these are no ordinary samples - these are meant to help you. She had selected and given me those that I need (how sweet..) and in no tiny, minute sample packages mind you. The sample bottles she gave are big.

Maybe one day I can tell you about the beauty treatment aka regimen, in my opinion, that Juliet goes through. Oh, and the (expensive) pills that she takes to rejuvenate her cells (psst.. let me tell you her secret ~ they are sheep placenta pills out of New Zealand!)

ps - I remembered the time I went to a Bobbi Brown counter (years ago) and the girl there had complimented my complexion. I was over the moon and I've been carrying that picture for years.. I suppose the picture frame crashed into tiny pieces today.

And pps - what you should take away from my nonsense in this post?
1. Your complexion should be numero uno to you (apart from other MOST important things of course)
2. It is never too late (or too early!) to start a beauty routine
3. Find a product you trust (whatever it maybe. I had seriously liked and trusted Artistry)
4. And oh, one last thing - never visit a beauty counter that's manned by a sweet grandma (these days banyak counter yang ada budak2 lembut yang temperamental tu.., go there. You may not spend a cent..)

*****

No comments:

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails