Sunday, September 17, 2006

Pandora's Box

Mentioned Pandora in my sms to a friend recently. The response that came back was, "That was the first time I had to open a dictionary to understand any sms". Ooopss..

I wondered if anyone else know about Pandora. Not many. But surprise, surprise, my bachelor said it is bala ie calamity. He said Pandora got a box as a gift. She was told not to open it. But her curiosity got the better of her and open the box she did. The contents of the box was all the calamity the world could have. Pandora quickly closed the box, but it was too late. The world had turned up-side down because of the content of the box that Pandora had let out. Pandora did not know that the only thing left in the box after she had closed it was hope. This element hope was supposed to be the cure to all the misfortunes already being let out..

I gaped at my son after he finished telling the story. He said he had to learn all that in one of his assignments.


I went to the Wikipedia to understand more of the story that my son told me and found that Pandora is a part of the Greek mythology. You know, Zeus and Aphrodite and Hercules and Pegasus.. (did you watch the animated Hercules movie?)

The Wikipedia also said Pandora's Box has become a metaphor for the unanticipated consequences of technical and scientific development. I always translate Pandora's Box as unpleasant surprises. So now I know. And kudos to my bachelor..


*****

No comments:

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails