Wednesday, September 6, 2006

The Splendor .. and Tragedy of Love

I agreed not to work late that evening. But I don’t control my destiny, do I? So I was late despite my promises.
When I got to Istana Budaya the parking space was full and the attendants guided me from the front entrance right through the parking lot and out again the back entrance to the big trees behind the theater - where I had to find my own spot near some small gerai..

The theater was crowded too. It turned out that it was the closing night – last day of the show. Thank goodness for wireless technology, I quickly found them in the crowded reception area.

I grew up in the kampung, never been to the theater – ever! So of course I don’t know my way around the prestigious place. But since someone had so kindly bought the tickets for us to watch the theater of course I had to go. It was my birthday present after all..

The steps were very steep. Some poor makciks had to be very careful coming down the steps. We got to the seats. They creaked as we sat. Well, what do you expect, right? We are almost at the very top of the theater, I could almost touch the roof (ie read that as the cheapest seat on the house, ok – and it is not that cheap too..) ha-ha..

But the performance was worth all the effort made. It was a new experience, watching the theater. The performance was as good or even better than what all the reviews said/wrote. The props were impressive. The choreography was amazing with that many performers. And the main characters ~ what can I say.. I'm in love.. he-he. I was also told later that most girls came back from the theater and said that.

If there are any more performance on Puteri Gunung Ledang in future I recommend everybody go and get a dose of a great local theater (not that I have seen any other though).

ps - I cant help but wishing that life then were a bit more liberated so that the legend didn’t turn out so sad after all.

*****

No comments:

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails