Friday, January 12, 2007

My Another Raya Haji Story

I wanted to write about this but had totally forgotten all about it..

Among the people we invited to our qurban the other day were some anak yatim piatu. The idea is to let these children be involved in the hari raya haji activities.

There was a girl about 4 years old who looked so sweet in her kurung and frilled tudung who caught my attention. I am susceptible to little girls (having multiple sons will do that to anybody I suppose..) The warden said the girl’s father dah tak de, mak pun dah tak datang jenguk dia pun (whatever that means). The little darling looked happy enough, too young and innocent to worry about anything, let alone a daunting future..

When they were ready to leave I cuddled the girl. Only then did I notice a small boy maybe the same age as the girl eyeing me and my actions. He looked directly into my eye. I thought he might have looked sad? envious? – I don’t know.

We waved to the children as the Pajero started to leave. The smaller children stood and waved back. Again the small little boy looked at me and as he waved he said, bye ibu (that’s what they were taught to call us). It was a poignant moment and it brought tears to my eyes. Kesian kan budak-budak tu. I thought maybe I would pay those two children a visit one day.

Till today I could still remember the boy’s eloquent look.

*****

No comments:

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails