Tuesday, April 29, 2008

No Repeats Please..

I just arrived home after doing the groceries on Sun when my son asked for the minyak gamat. He said he has the worst ever sakit perut. I asked have you eaten? Yes. Purging? No. Had too much asam? No. He came and lie down on my bed. Hmm - must be serious; they never do that.

I applied the minyak gamat carefully but he flinched. He said never had a tummy ache like this. The pain was in his right a bit to the side below the navel. Appendix? Exactly my thought. And although some may say appendix is the tiniest and most minor operation anyone can have, I have bad experience with it when ny nephew, Rashid, passed away at the age of 9 when his appendix burst and that it was detected pretty late..

Anyway I asked my son, clinic? He said yes. We rushed to the clinic and the Indian family who's next in the queue glared when we cut the queue. Mana tidak nya, although in pain my son walked straight like nothing - nak maintain macho agaknya.

It was Sun and the young lady doctor on duty barely examine the poor boy (malu agaknya - I pity young lady doctors at this moment). Nampak pun tak experience. I told her I'm taking my son to the hospital. She meekly said ok.

Once at the A&E Iwent straight to the reception asking for a doctor. The receptionist gave me a number, told me to take a seat and that we will be called shortly. I asked him A&E pun ada no giliran? I didnt know that (I suppose I watch too much tv where in A&E the patients are all rushed in and being attended by the doctor immediately). Afterall I argued with the young man on duty, it is called emergency. Apa emergency nya kalau everybody sit waiting calmly for the number to be called? But a rule is a rule.

We sat and waited. And waited. It couldnt be more difficult to remain calm while waiting for the number to be called when you see that you son is in pain. His face was contorted with pain. I felt I was going to cry. I called my brother the Ayah Cu. He should be able to tell me something. But he didnt answer the call.. I went back to the receptionist and harrassed him. A little while later a nurse came and we were called in. While the doctor examined him Ayah Cu returned my call.

I told him. He said nothing to be worried about. Maybe an appendix or a gallstone. He said just follow the dr's instruction (of course he'd tell me that). But nevertheless his words comforted me and I felt calmer after talking to him.

Then I was called to arrange for the GL / registration. After that completed I found out the surgeon had examined my son, prescribed him pain killer and instructed for drip and blood tests. I had to ask the nurse what the dr said and complained he did not explain that to me himself. The nurse said, saya tak tau puan ada kat luar. Come on la. Irritatingly incompetent.

It took hours for the room to be ready. The surgeon came at 5 and repeated exactly what ACu had said. I was not impressed. He was there not more that a couple of minutes. That night my daughter spent the night in the hospital with his brother. We dragged Eirfan home as there is school in the morning. He was disappointed - he thought he could spend the night at the hospital with abang & kakak.

The next morning we went through the CTScan. And waited all day before the doctor came at 4 to tell us we can go home and it is a tiny particle that was the culprit after all. It took another hour before the bill is ready.

ACu called for the last time when we got home. He said get another dr - I complained about the surgeon who didnt take time to make me understand the whole thing. He said the surgeon's bedside manner appalled even him. He recommended some urologist at Damansara or Tawakkal. I said I still prefer Ampang Puteri but I'll change doctor for the follow-up appointment.

I came home with backache and neck ache and headache. But Alhamdulillah things arent that bad..

*****

No comments:

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails