Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Yeah, Blackmail Works Too

I dont know about you, but when I was a kid and then did or say something out of line, my mum would give me an earful about it. Then she'd go on about the next thing that comes to her mind and then the next and the next..

And so growing up I convinced myself one way or another that lecturing is not the way to make the children behave (although I do behave despite - or inspite - of the lectures; it's just that fun is taken out of the whole process..) And I dont know what is the 'correct' way of instilling disciplines (if there is a correct way anyway..) I suppose it is personal parenting style.

Case study :
Last raya I hunted high and low for a suitable shirt for my son. I asked the abangs to get one for him but they didnt. I went to Metro but didnt find it. I went to Studio R, didnt find it either. I went to Nike, Adidas. Zip. I went to Jusco - and finally found something that looked quite decent. I pondered until Iman said mama let's just get it. And we did - finally. (And I must emphasis that I am not that choosy over boys' clothes - ever)

On hari raya my son wore something else - I asked him why isnt he wearing the shirt I had bought? He said it is black, it is a hot day, I dont like black, and mumbled other things I dont remember.. I said yang, do you know what I went through to get that shirt for you? & I told him. Lastly I said, tak nak pakai baju tu pun tak pe - mama masih doa bahagia dunia & akhirat (the drama queen that I am..)

My son laughed but fetched the shirt and put it on anyway despite it being black, it is a hot day and he didnt like black... blah..blah..

I suppose if there would be names to the styles of parenting, mine would definitely be emotional blackmail..

*****

2 comments:

Zana Fauzi said...

Memang drama queen.

DeLinn said...

tu le, sohih drama queen kekekeke

Related Stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails